Friday, September 25, 2009

Weekend Reading

Seems like I only recommend fiction, so this weekened, I've decided to post a few of my favorite non-fiction books:

Ray Bradbury fans should pick up THE BRADBURY CHRONICLES by Sam Weller. Sam is a Chicago author and spent months with Bradbury in preparation for this biography. It's a fascinating read and you learn everything you could possibly want to know about the world famous author.

More than biographies, I love reading writer's journals to gain insight into their life and their writing process. Some are comical, some are profound, others can be very dark. A few of my favorites include THE DIARIES OF FRANZ KAFKA, Albert Camus's notebooks 1951-1959, THE UNABRIDGED JOURNALS OF SYLVIA PLATH, and WINDBLOWN WORLD: The Journals of Jack Kerouac.

I believe that all writers should read ON WRITING by Stephen King (which I mentioned in a previous post) but I'm also adding LESSONS FROM A LIFETIME OF WRITING by David Morrell to that list. The book includes much of the same information given in his talks or panels, but those of you who haven't seen the accomplished writer speak should definitely pick up the book.

Lastly, for you Chack Palahniuk fans out there, check out STRANGER THAN FICTION. The true accounts are often more absurd and more unsettling than his novels and short stories.

No comments: