Friday, May 22, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend Reading + Contest

The three day weekend calls for extra book recommendations! Read to the end and check out The Chicago Contingent's first contest....

For something new, check out Lee Child's GONE TOMORROW, the latest installment of the Jack Reacher series. Reacher fans will be blown away; it's easily the best one yet. If this is your first introduction, never fear, GONE TOMORROW does stand on its own. Personally, I'd recommend checking out a few others before this one, just to see how far Reacher has come: KILLING FLOOR, TRIPWIRE, and THE PERSUADER.

This week, the committee announced this year's Anthony Award Nominees, so I'll be reading those nominated for best novel. Check them out:
Trigger City by Sean Chercover
The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly
Red Knife by William Kent Krueger
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
The Cruelest Month by Louise Penny

Finally, for this weekend's Chicago author, I suggest author and renegade publisher Darren Callahan. I met him at a writer's conference and was skeptical when he handed me a home-made book. But I took it home, I read it, and I fell in love. Check out DOCUMENTIA and CITY OF HUMAN REMAINS and order them here. _______________________________________________________

Now for The Chicago Contingent's first contest! The first five people to comment on today's post and include their suggested weekend reading, will receive a free copy of Jack Kilborn's AFRAID. Read about it here!

1 comment:

Quinn said...

I just found out that Chicago author Audrey Niffenegger's long-awaited new novel Her Fearful Symmetry has been sold to Scribner and should be on shelves by the end of September. If you're not already acquainted with her first book The Time Traveler's Wife, why not pick it up for a Memorial Day weekend read? It's a great, thoughtful work of science fiction with enough strong character development to pull it out of the dreaded genre ghetto.

Not that I have a problem with pure genre work, of course. I just like to see people reading SF without even realizing they're doing it.